The Graduate Stipend Program
The Graduate Stipend Program
The Graduate Stipend Program intends to award educational stipends to students with clinical field placement (traineeship/internship/practicum) in an outpatient treatment facility operated by a county-run or county-contracted mental health / behavioral health agency, excluding programs administered in or by an adult correctional facility. In addressing the workforce needs of the SCRP counties, the program will recruit students in the fields of clinical psychology, social work, marriage and family therapy, professional counseling, and psychiatric nurse practitioner.
Stipend Amount and Number of Stipends Awarded
The Graduate Stipend Program is funded for four academic years: 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24 and 2024-25. A maximum of 113 stipends will be awarded. Each stipend is $6,000 and awarded to offset the cost of the student’s graduate studies.
Eligibility Requirements – Academic Year 2021-22
- Students enrolled in an academic program that leads to the practice of clinical psychology, marriage and family therapy, social work, professional counselor, or psychiatric nurse practitioner;
- Students who are in good standing in their academic program;
- Students who are currently participating in their final year of clinical field placement (traineeship, internship, or practicum) located in an outpatient county facility or agency funded by a county;
- Students with lived experience, second language capacity and diverse backgrounds will be prioritized applicants;
- Students who do not have any existing service obligation with other entities, including other OSHPD or county programs;
- Students who are not in breach of any other health professional service obligation.
Each SCRP county will be fulfilling their own workforce needs when awarding the stipends allocated to that county. Application selection criteria may vary from county to county, so students are encouraged to be informed on their county’s recruitment endeavors. Each county will select student-applicants to award one of its allocated stipends from their list of finalists. The number of allocated stipends per county is related to the size of each county. Ventura County will not be participating in the Academic Year 2021-2022.
The application process for all students regardless of county or discipline is the following:
- Students must complete the state application of the Office of Health Planning and Development (OSHPD) https://oshpd.sjc1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8Jt1BS52a39kCdn. OSHPD will score and submit a list of applicants with their initial scores to the Stipend Program at Phillips.
- A review panel organized by the Stipend Program will score the essays to determine the applicants’ qualitative score. The panel will consist of members of the California Consortium and will include administrators of public mental health agencies and professionals with familiarity with public mental health practice. The staff of the Stipend Program will not participate in the scoring of the applications.
- The Stipend Program will compile the initial scores with the qualitative scores to arrive at the final score for each applicant and will submit the final scores to their respective counties. Each county will then award its allocated stipends based on the applicants’ final scores and county priorities.
Student Stipend Program Agreement
Students who are awarded a stipend by their county will need to attend an orientation conducted by the Stipend Program to sign the Stipend Program Agreement. The agreement requires that students complete an IRS W-9 federal form. The orientation will inform students on the administrative role of the Stipend Program, the student’s responsibility for accepting the stipend and on the issuance of the stipend checks. Recipients of the Graduate Stipend Program will be expected to fulfill the completion of the pre-degree field placement based on the educational program requirements and the county’s requirements in which the student serves.
Additional Information for Interested Students
Students are encouraged to review the 2021-22 SCRP Graduate Stipend Program Information before deciding to apply. Students will be notified by the Stipend Program on the status of their application once the applications are processed and throughout the selection/award process.
OSHPD application will be available on October 1, 2021
Application Deadline for Academic Year 2021-22 is November 15, 2021