Clinical Training and Placement
Clinical Training and Placement
The Clinical Training and Placement Office provides a valuable link to community resources and professional activities for students. The Office assists students during the process of acquiring their supervised clinical experience in qualified training agencies throughout Southern California and has extensive affiliations with agencies in the Los Angeles area, San Fernando Valley, San Gabriel Valley, Ventura County, Orange County, Antelope Valley, and San Bernardino County.
Master of Marriage and Family Therapy Program
The Master of Marriage and Family Therapy Clinical Training Office keeps students abreast of state laws, regulations and procedures for Marriage and Family Therapy licensure in the state of California.
The Clinical Training Office is open Monday through Saturday. For more information, please speak with your Academic Advisor.
Clinical Placement Manual
Clinical Training Office Forms
- Adding Campbellsville University as an Additional Insured
- Statement of Intent to Pursue a Post-Degree Title
- Documentation of Personal Psychotherapy
- Notification of Clinical Placement
- MFT Trainee Evaluation
- Notification of Traineeship Changes
- Request to Terminate Traineeship
- Student Evaluation of Traineeship
- Phillips Clinical Experience Hours Log
Board of Behavioral Sciences Forms (Downloadable PDF’s):
You can access the following forms and publications on the Board of Behavioral Sciences website at www.bbs.ca.gov under the Applicant/LMFT /Forms/Pubs/Supervision Forms tab:
- Supervision Agreement (for supervisor relationships that began ON OR AFTER January 1, 2022)
- Weekly log of Experience Hours
- In-State Experience Verification
- AMFT Registration
- AMFT Registration Application Packet (IN-STATE)
- Responsibility Statement for Supervisors
- Weekly Summary of Hours of Experience
- Marriage and Family Therapist Experience Verification
- MFT Associate Application Packet
Master of Marriage and Family Therapy Degree
The Master of Marriage and Family Therapy degree includes the application of theory through direct clinical experience. Students have the opportunity to provide direct clinical service to clients/families in the classroom through Case Conference courses and in community agencies approved by the school. This hands-on training augments and enhances the academic knowledge gained in the classroom.
The training received at an approved agency is often referred to as a clinical placement, field placement, or traineeship. It is through these designated training agencies that students obtain their hours of clinical experience. The approved community agencies include counseling centers, schools, medical facilities, religious settings and social services agencies.
Students seeking the California license as a Marriage and Family Therapist (MFT) are required to complete 375 hours of practicum experience (part of the academic requirement) in an approved training agency prior to degree completion. The practicum experience, part of the student’s clinical training, allows students to provide counseling services to clients under the supervision of licensed professionals. Phillips approved training sites include counseling centers, schools, mental health programs and hospitals. Students may begin their practicum experience after they have completed
their first semester of coursework and have been designated by Phillips faculty as trainees who are ready to begin clinical work.