Linda Bernson-Tang: A Journey of Faith, Family and Relationships

by | Jul 1, 2022 | Blog | 0 comments

The first thing you notice about Ms. Bernson-Tang upon meeting is that she exudes positive energy. Whether in a brief email exchange or a longer phone call, she brings a warmth and authenticity to every interaction that speaks to a lifetime spent in close relationships with others. As a mom, wife, parent educator, volunteer and currently a Master’s in Marriage and Family Counseling candidate at Phillips Graduate Institute, Ms. Bernson-Tang reports she’s always had a full plate of personal and professional activities to keep her not only busy, but also contributing to the community at large. 

Studying journalism and political science at the prestigious S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University in upstate New York, Linda moved west after graduation, working in both the marketing and creative departments at Petersen Publishing. She moved up the corporate ladder as a writer and marketing expert, ultimately working for a well-known Los Angeles talk radio station, parsing the news of the day for suitable feature material to be used on their programs, as well as securing and coordinating interviews, talent and more. 

And yet, married with two growing daughters and an enduring interest not only in writing but also in what makes meaningful, lasting relationships with others, Linda reports she felt called to pursue a life beyond the business world. 

“I decided I wanted to move away from an ordinary desk job, and integrate the passion I had for my faith, my family and relationships with a career that allows me to make a real difference helping others. The Phillips Graduate Institute program has really opened up a whole new world for me,” she says. 

As her daughters have become teenagers, Ms. Bernson- Tang says she finds real meaning in working with families, tapping into her life experience as a parent, communications professional, and using her mental health provider training. Her new work as a therapist trainee at California Family Counseling Center has reinforced this preference.

“The experience I’ve received at Phillips goes beyond just academics and centers around people. My professors, friends and colleagues here have taught me so much about what it means to be authentic, compassionate, and to reflect back to clients a real sense of hope. I’m super excited about the future, and where my new career will take me.”